Tutorial in "Making of the 'Chinese Nation'". . .
This tutorial is about conceptual and political constructions of the "Chinese Nation" in the 20th century. Readings include relevant writings by important intellectual and political figures of 20th-century China and major scholarships on the subject from multiethnic perspectives. The class meets biweekly, and the students are evaluated on the basis of participation, short book reviews, and a final paper.
Core Reading List for “Chinese Nation” Tutorial
I. Writings by Important Intellectual and Political Figures of 20th-century China (titles available in English are yet to be specified)
- Chiang Kai-shek
- Hu Shih
- Kang Youwei
- Li Dazhao
- Liang Qichao
- Mao Zedong
- Sun Yat-sen
- Yang Du
- Zhang Binglin
II. Major Works on Political China
- Bergere, Marie-Claire. Sun Yat-sen.
- Chow Tse-tsung. The May 4th Movement: Intellectual Revolution in Modern China.
- Dirlik, Arif. The Origins of Chinese Communism.
- Eastman, LIoyd. The Nationalist Era in China, 1927-1949.
- Fitzgerald, John. Awakening China: Politics, Culture, and Class in the Nationalist Revolution.
- Garver, John. Chinese-Soviet Relations: The Diplomacy of Chinese Nationalism, 1937-1945.
- Meisner, Maurice. Mao’s China and After: A History of the People’s Republic.
- Menala, Eraz. The Wilsonian Moment: Self-Determination and the International Origins of Anti-Colonial Nationalism.
- Panstrov, Alexander V. Mao: The Real Story.
- Schwarcz, Vera. The Chinese Enlightenment: Intellectuals and the Legacy of the May Fourth Movement of 1919.
- Selden, Mark. China in Revolution: Yenan Way Revisited.
- Taylor, Jay. The Generalissimo: Chiang Kai-shek and the Struggle for Modern China.
- Vogel, Ezra. Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China.
- Zarrow, Peter. After Empire: The Conceptual Transformation of the Chinese State.
III. Major Works on Multiethnic China
- Dreyer, June Teufel. China’s Forty Millions.
- Liu Xiaoyuan. Frontier Passages: Ethnopolitics and the Rise of Chinese Communism.
- Mackerras, Colin. China’s Minorities: Integration and Modernization in the 20th Century.
- Mullaney, Thomas. Coming to Terms with the Nation: Ethnic Classification in Modern China.
- Reardon-Anderson, James. Reluctant Pioneers: China’s Expansion Northward, 1644-1937.
- Shao Dan. Remote Homeland, Recovered Borderland: Manchus, Manchukuo, and Manchuria, 1907-1985.
- Goldstein, Melvyn D. A History of Modern Tibet, 1913-1951: The Demise of the Lamaist State.
- ----. A History of Modern Tibet, Volume 2: The Calm before the Storm, 1951-1955.
- ----. A History of Modern Tibet, Volume 3: The Storm Clouds Descend, 1955-1957.
- Lin Hsiao-ting. Tibet and Nationalist China’s Frontier: Intrigues and Ethnopolitics, 1928-1949.
- Shakya, Tsering. The Dragon in the Land of Snows: A History of Modern Tibet since 1947.
- Tuttle, Gray. Tibetan Buddhists in the Making of Modern China.
- Wang Lixiong and Tsering Shakya, The Struggle for Tibet.
- Benson, Linda. The Ili Rebellion: The Moslem Challenge to Chinese Authority in Xinjiang, 1944-1949.
- Forbes, Andrew. Warlords and Muslims in Chinese Central Asia: A Political History of Republican Sinkiang, 1911-1949.
- Millward, James. Eurasian Crossroads: A History of Xinjiang.
- Rudelson, Justin J. Oasis Identities: Uyghur Nationalism along China’s Silk Road.
- Perdue, Peter. China Marches West: The Qing Conquest of Central Eurasia.
- Wang, David. Under the Soviet Shadow: The Yining Incident.
- Bulag, Uradyn E. Collaborative Nationalism: Politics of Friendship on China’s Mongolian Frontier.
- ----. The Mongols at China’s Edge: History and Politics of National Unity.
- ----. Nationalism and Hybridity in Mongolia.
- Jagchid, Sechin. The Last Mongol Prince: The Life and Times of Demchugdonrob, 1902-1966.
- Liu Xiaoyuan, Reins of Liberation: An Entangled History of Mongolian Independence, Chinese Territoriality, and Great Power Hegemony, 1911-1950.